Tres Leches Cake is a traditional dessert served throughout Latin America. Tres Leches Cake is Spanish for Three Milks Cake. It is a delicious, sweet treat that I have made before for my husband's students in his Spanish class and it was so well received that a piece for me never made it home! You can either choose to frost the entire cake with whipped topping and decorate with halved strawberries or serve the whipped topping and strawberries on the side.
- 1 (18 oz) box white or yellow Supermoist cake mix
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 eggs
- 1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 (8 oz) container whipped topping, thawed
- Strawberries (optional)
- Heat oven to 350ºF. Grease a 13x9 inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl combine cake mix, water, oil, vanilla and eggs. Beat on low for 30 seconds and then on medium for 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake 33 to 38 minutes or until edges are golden brown and tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cake stand 5 minutes, then poke the hot cake every 1/2 inch with a long-tined fork. Wipe the fork occasionally to reduce sticking and tearing of the cake.
- In a large bowl combine the milks and cream. Carefully pour the mixture evenly over the top of the cake. Cover and refrigerate approximately 1 hour or until all liquid is absorbed.
- Frost cake as desired and garnish with strawberry slices (or serve both on the side).