Summer is officially here and the hot weather is upon us! Just like their humans, pets can get out of shape during those long winter months when exercise is limited. Petmate® offers some tips and tools to help pet families get back into a healthy outdoor exercise routine together.
1. Pre-exercise/training is a must after such a long winter
Engaging through play helps dogs experience exercise as rewarding and fun and helps to build bonds between pets and their families.
- The new Chuckit!® Sport LX Launchers System gets the whole family – and pets – outside and active for quality play time. Designed for family play with two launchers included, the Lacrosse style basket allows throwing and catching, plus Chuckit’s signature hands-free, slobber-free pickup.
- If you’re looking to ease into exercising your pet, the new JW Cuz line of toys are a great option to get your dog moving, without tiring them out too soon. The JW® Helmet Heads come with a tennis ball and durable rubber encasement, creating a fun multi-use toy great for fetch or chew. The Rubber adds durability and creates erratic bounce for a run new way to play!
2. Always have water handy
If your dog is panting excessively, stop and let them cool down. Always have water on hand to make sure they can rehydrate.
- The Chuckit! Hydro toys offer an engaging and fun option to maintain hydration even at play. The fetch, tug, flyer and roller are designed to hold and release water for a new play dynamic that helps keep dogs cool in spring and summer weather. With high-visibility on water or land, you can assure your dog will be visibly happy and hydrated when playing outside.
3. As it gets warmer, only exercise outside in the morning or evening
It is generally cooler in the mornings and evenings so it is best to exercise and train your dog during those times. Try to avoid peak day when it can be hottest.
- Petmate’s Glow in the Dark collars and leashes offer high-visibility for those evening and late night walks when the temperatures and asphalt is a bit cooler for them
4. Avoid asphalt
When using interactive toys like the Chuckit! Sport LX launcher, make sure you are avoiding asphalt and play in an area that is safe for dogs. Not only can the rough surface hurt their pads, the heat from asphalt can also harm your dog.
Our family's dogs absolutely loved the toys Petmate sent for us to try out for some summer fun and exercise outside! The Chuckit! Sport LX Launch System was so fun and can even be used with one person launching the ball and having the dog retrieve it as Rose did with our littlest family pups! The Chuckit! Hydro toys were a great way for our pups to stay hydrating when playing outside in the heat but can even be used inside by just not wetting the inside part of the toy so it can be used year round! The JW Helmet Heads toy was perfect for my Father's yellow lab Dusty. He loves to chew things up and we always joke about how long a toy will last with him around. The outside "helmet" surrounding the squeaky tennis ball is very thick and so far Dusty hasn't made a dent in it - very durable!!
Check out Petmate's wide variety of products for dogs, cats and birds on their website. You can also follow them on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for all the latest news on new products, sales and more.
Disclosure: Coupon Savvy Sarah receives products in order to conduct reviews. No monetary compensation was provided unless noted otherwise. All opinions are 100% my own. Some posts may contain affiliate links that I receive commission or payment from in exchange for referrals. In the event of a giveaway, the sponsor is responsible for delivery of the prize, unless otherwise noted in the posting. I only recommend products or services I personally use and believe will be a good fit for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 225: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising"